Thursday, February 21, 2008

The ultimate interaction with the Brand

We had our first inaugural Web Wednesday Singapore gathering last night, and I had a short talk about "Show me the eMoney!". It was a good evening with lots of drinks and good company. More on this in another post.

But as usual when I have many drinks (but not enough to pass out), I tend to wake up very early and my mind races and I can't get back to sleep. Like last night, I came home around 2 am and woke up at 5am and my mind wanders and works around ideas and thoughts. So this morning, it was about "Interaction with the Brands".

The internet is an "interactive" medium. This has become an accepted lingo when referring to the online space. We mean that users interact with the websites that they go to; they "sit forward" rather than "lean back". They choose what they want to read and view. Essentially, the users actively push and pull information that they need as they want it.

From a site publisher and media agency standpoint, the revenue stream is from the advertising - which is measured by impressions, pageviews, clickthroughs and interaction with the creative. So for a campaign, many normally measure its effectiveness by the interaction by consumers with the campaign elements.

However, despite the measurability of the internet, it is still hard to quantify the interaction with the Brand i.e. the advertiser with products or services. I don't just mean driving traffic to their site. I mean the ultimate interaction between the advertiser and the consumer: a financial transaction to buy a product or service. This is what the advertiser really wants. Obviously not all products advertised online can be bought online.

But I guess that is the difference between online marketing and eCommerce.

And that is why I am in eCommerce...

blog comments powered by Disqus