Wednesday, February 13, 2008

PhocusWright: "Mobile Travel: The Time Is Now"


I ran across this little blurb on HospitalityNet.org.

Lead-in quote: "Industry pundits have been touting the future promise of mobile travel for years. In 2008, that future will become a reality."

yada yada yada....

"Mobile ad revenues are expected to skyrocket in the coming years—a phenomenon that many travelers will welcome."

Consumers will welcome ads on their mobile? Possible - if my mobile provider does not charge me an arm and a leg for data roaming charges, or roaming SMS text fees.***

"The PhoCusWright Travel 2.0 Consumer Technology Survey indicates that ..."

Ah hah! The soft sales pitch for the survey. (i.e. "soft" = no hyperlink to purchase the report). Or as we used to say it in the TV industry "Product Placement". I am cool with that.

Continuing: "... indicates that 30% of travelers would like to receive special offers during their trips via their mobile devices about local restaurants and activities."

Well we are talking about users receiving info and offers WHILE ON THEIR TRIP. Us hoteliers, airlines, and online travel agents (which makes up a huge chunk of the travel industry) would prefer users to get offers and info BEFORE THEY MAKE THEIR TRIP and while they are planning their trip.

So we are talking mobile, and fairly immediate, information (dare I call it "M-Info" since they are using "m-commerce"). Information that would influence their behavior in the short term and within their immediate locale. This would be a boon for the local businesses that thrive on the traveling public, so - yeah - I might find this useful as a traveler. My hotel F & B outlets might even find this very useful to boost their walk-in traffic. But as a direct travel supplier - whose bread and butter depends on how they get there and where they sleep - I don't see how this M-Info will help me increase my revenue.

And from an "e"-commerce perspective, I still don't see how this can be termed as "m-commerce". Are people actually booking online? Will people type in their credit card numbers and CVV2 codes into their M-devices (and their full name, address, and contact info)? All this on a tiny screen (or even on a huge, lovely, awesome iPhone screen)?

And this will be in 2008? Call me a skeptic or Luddite, but I don't think we are on the "tipping point" yet.

"This interest will grow as more appealing, media-rich offerings become available."

Ibid on the *** above.
===

Anyhow, I certainly do see the value in location-based marketing onto mobiles, but I see this less of a "travel" phenomenon than a platform for targeted marketing to local users (i.e. already residents of the city/town). The "travel" angle does not work for me. Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry, PhocusWrong.

blog comments powered by Disqus