Tuesday, December 11, 2007

PPC: Getting a Google Direct Account

Millennium & Copthorne has spent a lot of money this year on Pay-Per-Click keyword bidding. Roughly I would say close to USD 1 million. Google gets a lions share of this budget, because they get us good to great return-on-ad-spend. So we are a half-a-million dollar account for them.

Earlier in 2007, I found out that we "qualify" for a Google Direct Account. This mean that we enter a contract with Google directly and are invoiced by them and pay them directly, bypassing agencies. Our UK-based PPC agency did not like this very much as they get a rebate (i.e. kickback) from Google UK and also they get the volume tier.

I looked seriously into doing this and am currently in the process of moving my account to direct. Why?

BENEFITS:
========

1) The account belongs to me rather than the agency which is how the normal set up is. The agency will transfer the account to me if I change vendors or take it in-house. While this should be ok, it can be messy.

2) I was informed at one time that an account transfer will keep historical data but not retain the quality score of the keyword/destination link combo. This is a serious problem if I lose quality score when I switch vendors. So if I have my own account, there is no account transfer and my campaign will not miss a beat. However, more recently I have been told that the quality score will be retained if you do the transfer correctly. In any case, I would rather be safe than sorry. Such policies may change in the future.

3) We manage multiple campaigns with different vendors. So rather than dealing with 3 different google accounts from each vendor, I would rather consolidate into one.

4) Any direct engagement with Google is good. Why should the agencies bask in the glory of spending my money with the advertiser? Why should they get invited to the parties when I pay the bucks?!?!?!?! hehheehhe...... But seriously, it can't hurt for Google to get to know your company better.

5) As part of Google Direct Account, Google will assign a "Maximizer" (yes that is the official job title) to my account optimize my account. They will even run the campaign for me instead of the agency and I will not have to pay any agency fees!!!!

CONCERNS
=========

1) My Finance is perpetually late in paying accounts receivables. With the agencies, they are used to this and will let you slide. Google, with its USD 15billion a year in revenue and USD 300Billion market cap, is a stickler for systems. So what's the big deal about a half a million dollar account? If they don't pay, shut them down until they pay. Where else are they going to advertise with this kind of reach and revelancy and results?

2) Do I really want a "Maximizer" managing my account? Do I really want a media owner to be the media planner? There is an inherent conflict of interest no?

3) Also, I still want the agency as I am still running campaigns on MSN and Yahoo! And soon Baidu and what not. I need the objectivism of a third party. Though the trick is finding the right agency.

======

So within the next few months or so, I should have all my PPC campaigns around the world under my own account. Will let you all know how that goes....

blog comments powered by Disqus